Wednesday, October 15, 2008

This Is What Happens When...

You hit your sister in the head with a plastic horn...
Well, this is what we call "Putting Your Nose on the Wall". Brilliant, huh? It took us days to figure out what we'd call it. Kidding. But, seriously, we needed to come up with an approach to things that were definitely in the "No" category. It is our take on timeout. I have thought about the timeout chair, the thinking mat, go sit on your bed, sit on the couch. But, what happens when your out and about and don't have these things...what is something that is constant??? Well, we are usually within a couple of seconds of a wall somewhere. I don't actually put their noses on the wall...it is just so they know which way to face. I generally redirect them when things go awry...but when you haul off and knock your sister in the head because of a toy she had that you wanted...well...there are consequences. And Hope didn't cry...it wasn't that hard..it certainly wasn't a pat but not a concussion worthy hit by any means. So far, it has worked for us...I know there are those that will tell me this is cruel, how awful and isolated they must feel standing there all alone...looking at the wall (2 minutes for Love, 4 for Hope)...there are those that will tell me I should be spanking them, start 'em young, it doesn't matter that she has no clue what you are trying to teach her and answers "jeh" to everything...she'll catch on. We will never please everyone, not that I'd want to....just gotta do what works for us. And for now...this works.
If I have learned anything about raising kids thus far is that Big Daddy and I have to stay on the same page...no matter what. Discussions can be had later but never, I repeat never let them see you falter. If they do...well, that is a entirely different post. I am not proud to say it but we've been there and it is so not pretty. Just for the record, should the current technique become ineffective...we've got a backup plan ;)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Love looks so darn cute even on the wall. Sorry to hear that Hope had to take a hit though.